Sunday 7 July 2013

Cossack

My team of expert painting handlers

Last Sunday we drove the 440km round trip to drop 'Rusty' off at Cossack.  Three hundred and thirty paintings have been accepted for the awards across nine categories.  The opening night and announcement of the awards takes place on July 20.

The drive to Cossack is something that I have come to love.  Six weeks after arriving in Port Hedland we drove to Broome, some 600km away.  The landscape in the north west is vast and empty and our unaccustomed eyes were yet to appreciate the subtle changes in the land.  We had not made the drive north since returning from Broome until two months ago when we made a day trip to Pardoo Station.  It was surprising how beautiful and lush the landscape appeared, especially after being able to compare it to the south and the east of Port Hedland.  Initially it did take some adjusting to but I have come to love the large, flat expanse, endless horizon and vast skies, the variations in the colour of the earth from sweet potato through to a deep rich red and the transformation that occurs in the land from the harsh unforgiving midday sun to the soft pastel light of dusk and dawn.  

I would like to spend time in this landscape and immerse myself in it.  I want to spend time drawing and painting without the restraints of family life or modern day living.  I am not sure how long I would survive out there, but I am allowed my romantic notions.

I will have the opportunity to fantasise once more as we take the trip south again for the art awards family day event on July 21.  I believe Dorothy the Dinosaur will be making an appearance.  A grand reward for the dedicated effort of my painting team.

No comments:

Post a Comment