Tuesday 23 September 2014

Barry R Tape







Another project in the works.  For years I have wanted to photograph barrier tape in the landscape.  I think it appeals to my graphic sensibilities.  I love the bold red and white stripes that dominate their setting.  For several months now I have been scouring the landscape and roadsides for barrier tape.  I would eventually like to print and frame enough worthy images to have and exhibition.  

I am thinking of titling it Barry R Tape and titling the works with human attributes.  I am still working on titles for the above images.  I am thinking Flourish, Jaunty and Lofty.  I think they display a light hearted sense of playfulness and carelessness.  

My children have helped me collect feathers, leaves and beach treasures.  Now the yell "Barrier Tape" every time we drive past some.  I always have a camera in the car and stop when time permits.  Of course the conditions are not always ideal.  The sun is in the wrong place, the sky is so over cast it creates no contrast in the foreground, the ideal position to be standing is in the middle of a freeway, I guess that's why I have taken over 300 photos already. I have culled that to 37, but even they need to be edited again.

I don't know when, where or if this exhibition will ever take place, but I have certainly been having fun 
with Mr Barry R Tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment